Women’s Health Project- 2019
Background: Family planning and safe abortion services are priority programmes in Nepal for improving mother and children’s health. As a local implementing partner of Population Services International (PSI)/Nepal, Green Tara Nepal has been implementing Women’s Health Project (WHP) 2019. After successful partnership of WHP-IV (2016-2018), the project has been expanded from January to November 2019.
The Project aims to increase access to Safe Medical Abortion (MA) and Long Acting Reversible Contraceptives (LARC) particularly Intra Uterine Contraceptive Device (IUCD) through OK service networks with the following objectives:
1. Increase access to safe medical abortion through mid-level providers from GON certified private clinics
2. Increase access to safe medical abortion through network providers (OB/GYNs)
3. Expand the availability of long- acting reversible contraceptives (LARC)
4. Improve access to IUCD services through the PSI/Nepal network providers
5. Increase productivity and motivation of network providers to insert IUCD
6. Improve quality of services provided by network providers
7. Improve consumer perception and demand for IUCD
8. Improve quality of care in private sector network clinics through the implementation of Client Record Management (CRM).
In this phase, GTN provides support to 10 OK+ and 29 OK services sites in Kathmandu, Kavrepalanchowk, Chitwan and Makawanpur districts. Following are the key scope and expected results (ER);
• Abortion is safe and available
– ER: Increased access to safe abortion services including medical abortion in project districts.
• Women receive the quality of services they need to prevent unintended pregnancies
– ER: Increased access to and use of quality LARC services through network facilities.
• Quality of service and client care
– ER: Client-friendly and quality SAS and FP services are delivered through network facilities.
• Quality of service and counselling
– ER: Providers follow client centered and informed choice counselling methods to adequately inform clients about SAS options, post abortion family planning (PAFP), FP methods and other reproductive health referral services.
• Adverse events and complication (AE&C) management
– ER: Network client’s post service health is protected and have confidence on PSI/Nepal network facilities
• Social marketing of PSI/Nepal MA and IUCD product
– ER: PSI Medical Abortion Combipack (Medabon) and OK IUCD is widely available and used for safe abortion and LARC services at the network and non-network facilities.
• Women are empowered with information
– ER: Women of reproductive age (15-49) including adolescents and youth are informed about family planning and safe abortion options and referred when in need.
• Coordination and advocacy
– ER: No systematic barriers to expansion of legal abortion and right to abortion is strengthened.
• Programme monitoring, evaluation, documentation, and reporting
– ER: Project standards met and Information available for project decision.