Strong Girls Project: Improving the Educational Achievements of Dalit and other Marginalized Girls in Nepal
Strong Girls Project is a three year (September 2018 – December 2021) project, jointly implemented by Green Tara Nepal, Feminist Dalit Organization (FEDO) and Rural Education and Environment Development Centre Nepal (REED). Financial and technical support in this project are provided by Karuna Deutschland, Karuna Trust and The Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (Bundesministerium für wirtschaftliche Zusammenarbeit und Entwicklung, BMZ).
Why to focus towards education of Dalit girls?
• The successful completion of education for Dalit girls of 8-14 years age group has many hurdles, because of socio-cultural taboos and poor financial status.
• Dalit girls have been kept in the lowest level in the society in the name of caste and gender that is considered as illegal according to the existing laws of Nepal.
• Girl education has not been given much importance by the parents due to various traditional practices and taboos.
• The poor family status has immensely led to the dropping out for school girls.
• Lack of physical infrastructure and educational materials in the school.
• Early marriage.
Targeted area and beneficiaries: The project covers a total of 15 schools from Kapilvastu, Rupandehi and Palpa. The expected beneficiaries are 900 girls (8-14 years) of 15 schools from the Dalit and marginalized community, 6000 students from 15 targeted schools, around 200 teachers in the school who will get the opportunity to increase their skills and abilities through various trainings. The economic condition of around 600 parents from 24 Dalit and marginalized groups will improve through the occupational and skill based trainings. School management committee, parents/ teachers group unions, government civil workers, etc. (around 750 people) will be directly/ indirectly benefitted.
The main objective of the project is improving the quality of education in the targeted areas among Dalit and marginalized girls and to make them capable at least to complete the basic level of education.
• Activity 1: Management of school materials and training.
• Activity 2: Girl empowerment and awareness program.
• Activity 3: Seeking support and participation from Dalit families for the school going girls.
• Activity 4: Formation of community network and Conduction of awareness programs to improve the educational condition of Dalit girls.
• Activity 5: Empower Dalit and marginalized girl’s mother through vocational training for livelihood.
Contact of Local Implementing Partners
Green Tara Nepal (GTN)
Ram Chandra Silwal, Country Director
Kathmandu Metropolish-4, Lamtangin Marg, Baluwatar, Kathmandu
Phone: 977(1)4432698, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Feminist Dalit Organization (FEDO)
Kala Swarnakar, President
Head Office: G.P.O Box: 4366 (Kathmandu), Kupondole, Lalitpur, Nepal
Phone: 977(1)5543986, Fax: +977(1)5520982
Rural Education and Environment Development Centre Nepal (REED)
Bhim Bogati, Founder and Chairman
Kathmandu, Bakundole, Lalitpur